Floatation therapy is still relatively new. It may be years before we fully understand the extent of medical benefits offered through it. As of 2015, however, the outlook is promising. There are a host of physical, mental, and emotional improvements we can measure, including addiction control, muscle therapy, and eating disorder therapy. Here are some of the medical highlights that floating offers to users every day:
- Pain management – Many chronic pain sufferers go through treatment after treatment looking for relief. Acupuncture, massage therapy, chiropractic care, and yoga are a few of the popular treatments. Some individuals also find great success with floatation tanks. The weightless sensation allows for full relaxation and helps decrease the pain and pressure associated with conditions like fibromyalgia, arthritis, and back pain.
- Expedited injury healing – As a complementary therapy for physical therapy and medication, some research indicates that the floatation tank environment encourages the natural healing process and can even speed it up. This effect may be due to the decreased stress on the area of injury and the increased blood circulation that the warm, salty water promotes.
- Mineral balancing – Many Americans do not get enough magnesium in their daily lives. Since floatation tanks are filled with Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate), users can absorb the magnesium in the tank for improved insulin use, regulation of electrolytes, and stress relief.
- Mental disorders – Addiction, eating disorders, and depression are a few of the mental illnesses that floatation tanks have been proven effective at helping. The unique physical environment and meditative quality of the session allows people to relax and focus on calm, soothing, and positive energy. Over time, this short-term feeling can lead to fewer symptoms after a floating session.
- Sleep regulation – Floating in a sensory deprivation tank increases Theta waves in the brain, the same waves that are triggered during REM sleep. The experience in a floatation tank has been shown to help users fall sleep much more easily and reach a state of deep sleep, even hours after a floating session.
Everybody has a different experience with floatation tanks. It’s wholly personal and can help anyone looking for mental and physical relaxation. In time, it is likely that research will show that the benefits of floating far exceed this short list of health-related benefits. Whether you need to recharge after a long, stressful day or you’re healing after an accident or injury, consider a floatation center as a holistic therapy for the mind and body. You may be surprised at the benefits you feel after 3-5 sessions. For more information, call Northwest Float Center to schedule your first appointment today.